Thursday, March 18, 2010

Finally Spring Part I: Progress in the kitchen garden

After a long pause since my last post, spring is finally seriously here and I have some progress to report on. First of all, I've now completed the boxwood hedging around my kitchen garden (aka potager, Bauerngarten, formal herb garden). For more information on the design and previous steps, see here. The circular hedge in the center was still missing. To plant it, I first made a compass using strings and posts (click to enlarge):


After tracing a circle of 180 cm diameter using a crowbar fastened by a string to the post in the center, I proceeded to plant the boxwoods, this time with somewhat larger ones to the left and right of each entrance to the central circle:


As centerpiece I'd been looking for months for the perfect birdbath with no luck. I even ordered some catalogs of elegant English garden supplies, but the birdbaths were either not to my taste or exorbitantly expensive. On a recent trip to Holland, I finally found one. It's out of cast iron with a brass finish, instead of cast stone or granite as I had originally intended, but I think it will do quite nicely. I found it at what must be a contender for the world's largest gardening center, Oosterik, in Denekamp, Holland.

When I'm finished, the birdbath will go in the middle where the post is. It has a sort of kitschy fairy on it, but I like it!



While I was working, this little fellow jumped out from under one of the large boxwoods in the background, ran to the edge of a path and froze, allowing me to photograph him/her. I'm afraid it's a vole.


Now I can finally begin with planting herbs, flowers, and vegetables in each of the four sectors. First on my list is St.-John's-wort (Johanniskraut), which, in addition to having attractive yellow blossoms almost all summer long, is also a traditional indigenous medicinal herb, at least in Germany. More to follow!

13 comments:

  1. Welcome back Barbara. Great to see your garden, and I spotted some snowdrops, yay!
    My boxwoods got quite flatted by the snow this year, it pushes them apart in the middle and breaks some of the branches. Any ideas on how to prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your garden layout a lot. It looks wonderful and that centrepiece will look perfect in summer when everything around will be green and flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Barbara. You have been busy. I love the layout of your garden. The birdbath is just lovely. Looks like the vole is watching you make a garden for him to dig in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Barbara, you have done a lot of work! I like the formal style of a "Bauerngarten" and also kitschy fairys on a birdbath;-)) Two weeks ago we have been in Mannheim and visited the Strandbad near your oveley garden. I think it was not the last time we enjojed the sundown on the Rheinside. Greetings from Luzia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. Your potager garden is really taking shape! As for the vole...I'm sorry. We've started getting them here, and they're like little furry chainsaws with teeth. They can do so much damage in the garden. I hope yours was just passing through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stand in awe of your hard work. The garden layout is very cool. jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Das sieht alles gut durchdacht und geplant aus, im Unterschied zu mir warst Du sogar sorgfältig bei der Sortenwahl des Buxus. Meiner stammt aus einer alten DDR-Gärtnerei, die sich damals als wir einzogen, aufgelöst wurde. Keine Ahnung, welche Sorte das war. Jedenfalls ist sie enorm wüchsig...zu wüchsig für meine Begriffe. Eine Wühlmaus im Garten, was sucht die da? Anscheinend hat sie aber Deine Tulpenzwiebeln übersehen, es sprießt ja schon mächtig in Deinem Garten.
    Johanniskraut ist hier in Deutschland zwar in aller Munde, die wenigsten bauen ihn aber im Garten an, um selbst Tees daaus herzustellen.
    Ich freu mich auch schon auf die ersten frischen Kräuter aus dem Garten!
    Ich habe Dir bezüglich des Hummelkastens in meinem Blog geantwortet.
    Ein schönes Wochenende wünscht
    Sisah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deborah, as far as I've read, it's important not to prune boxwoods too late in the year - no later than about July, otherwise the new growth can't harden up enough for the winter. I've got LOTS of snowdrops - planted by my predecessors in the allotment and I'm just delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great and I just love that birdbath. It is so large and will look super good surrounded by herbs and ornamentals. The yellow St. John's wort will really set it off. The hedging will look great and give you a very nice boundary. Can't wait to see all the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is looking incredible Barbara - I will have to remember your method for making a circle if I ever need one in the garden as I tend to be a bit lopsided in these matters, which spoils the effect! I'm very much looking forward to seeing the garden develop over time. Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to see you organising your garden and I can imagine how beautiful it will look when the plants are growing and blooming. Great to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara, I love the way your circle of boxwood looks; it will be breathtaking when they mature a bit more -- and the birdbath is charming. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is St. John's Wort growing in my untended garden - it is very hardy and comes back every year about this time!

    ReplyDelete